zaterdag 14 april 2007

THE UNLIKELY SWITCH

By: Kagi Chan (aka Kaeda Ryan)

Disclaimer: I think you guys know the drill — Paramount owns everything Trek. However, I must say that this story and some of the characters for this story are from my own original ideas.

Note: This story was inspired by the episodes “Riddles”, “Tuvix”, and “Dark Frontier parts 1 & 2″. Just an hour ago, a certain “WHAT IF” question popped in my head as i was watching the “Riddles” episode on TV… I just thought what would it like if this were to happen in Voyager… Hope you guys enjoy reading it, and i hope you can give constructive comments about it… DOMO ARIGATO GOZAIMASU… ^_^

+++++++

It was an uneventful day onboard Voyager and Captain Kathryn Janeway decided it was best that she spent the rest of her duty shift in her Ready

Room, catching up with the ship reports submitted to her since last week.

She had just finished reading a PADD when the door chimed.

“Come in.”

The door opened and revealed Naomi Wildman behind it, PADD in hand.

“Naomi, what a pleasant surprise?!? Please have a seat…” she gestured for the child to take the seat in front of her desk. ” What can I do

you for?”

Naomi beamed as she took the seat the Captain has offered her. “Thank you, Captain. I came to see you to show you my thoughts in increasing

the productivity in the Hydroponics bay… I wish to become useful in the ship so I’ve decided to help out…” she said as she handed the

Captain the PADD she was bringing.

“I see… And I figure that it is stated here in your report?”

“Yes Ma’am…”

Janeway scanned the PADD the child handed down to her. “You wish to rotate the planting and growing of the crops? And fertilize them with

manure?”

“Yes Ma’am… I read in the ship’s database that in order for the soil to be revitalized and productive, you must rotate the planting of

crops… And you must fertilize them as well with cow manure…”

“Cow manure…? Naomi, we’re in the Delta Quadrant… How on earth could you get hold of a sample of cow manure?” she scanned the PADD again

and found her answer. “You have found the chemical composition of manure… So what do you wish to do?”

“Well, um… If it’s possible I will try and replicate it… A less offensive one of course… Captain, I know the replicators eats a huge

portion of the ship’s power but I only wish to use it for the Delta Quadrant variety of corn I found a few days ago and it would be a small

amount… I promise that after the harvest of this crop, I will be planting another crop which will absorb less of the soil’s nutrients,

making it breathe little…”

Janeway could only eye the child with utter curiousity and admiration. Naomi was indeed a smart child and she was indeed very serious when she

said she wanted to be useful in the ship… “This is a very good proposal, Crewman, and I will take it into careful consideration… I will

give you my reply…”

Her answer was interrupted by the sound of a voice coming from her comm. badge and the shudder that rocked the entire ship violently.

“Captain please report to the Bridge…”

“On my way…” Janeway replied as she stood up and started marching towards the door that led to the Bridge. “Naomi, let’s go…”

However, they were put to a stop when the ship shuddered violently again with what seems to be weapons fire. This threw her and Naomi off

their feet. Janeway struggled to stand and gain her composure. When she finally was on both feet she helped struggling Naomi do the same…

“Thank you, Captain… I think it’s about time we reported on the Bridge now…”

“My thoughts exactly, Crewman…”

She knew that the door would have opened when she stood near it… However it didn’t and she was having a hard time with the manual override

either… The door was definitely stuck!

“Chakotay to the Captain! Please report to the Bridge!”

She tapped her comm. badge. “Commander, I think you should manage without me! I’m encountering certain obstacles in going there as we

speak…”

“Yes Ma’am…”

A few seconds later, her comm. badge chirped again… It was Chakotay again. “Captain, two cloaked ships have just decloaked right above

us… They are scanning us…”

“Let them scan… I’m leaving the Bridge under your capable hands… I’ll be there as soon as figure out a way to get me and Naomi out of

here… Janeway out.”

But before Chakotay could answer, a wide beam of bright light penetrated the ceiling of the Ready room and was moving about slowly as though it

was looking for something. Much to her surprise, a certain force field was erected around them in the room.

“Captain, who erected the force field?”

“That’s what I want to know myself, Naomi…” she replied as she stood stock still as the bright light came towards them.

+++++

“Commander, a level ten force field has been erected around the Captain’s REady room…” Kim declared from his post in the Bridge. “I am

trying to disable it…”

“Do it, Ensign…”

“The ships have just finished scanning us however, the lead ship seemed to have erected the force field around the Captain’s Ready room a few

seconds ago…”

“Can you contact the Captain?”

“No sir. The force field is blocking our communications to the Captain…”

“Can you beam them out of there?”

“No sir… Wait, Commander! I’m reading a transport in progress from the Captain’s ready room…”

“Scans shows that the alien ship is initiating the transport! They are transporting the Captain and Naomi Wildman…” Tuvok added.

“Get them back! Mr. Tuvok ready the photon torpedos and fire on my mark…”

“Aye sir. I’ve got a lock on the lead ship’s weapons array…”

“Commander, their transporter hold is much more stronger than ours…”

“Then compensate Ensign!” he barked as he punched a few commands in his console… “I’m rerouting the auxiliary powers to the

Transporters…”

“I got them, Commander. They’re back in the Ready room…”

“Fire torpedos!”

“The two aliens ships are retreating…”

“Stand down Red Alert… Mr. Tuvok, Mr. Paris, Mr. Kim, help me get the Captain and Naomi out of the Ready Room…”

“Yes sir.”

+++++

PART 2

“Captain?!? Are you alright?”

Naomi opened her eyes slowly, gradually clearing up her hazy vision… She squinted as she tried to get a clear view of the person whose voice

had awaken her. “Commander Chakotay?”

He just smiled and announced towards the people behind him. “She’s alright!”

Naomi looked around and saw a lot of familiar faces: Lieutenant Paris, Ensign Kim and Commander Tuvok. Her gaze then fell on an unconscious

form right beside her. It was her. Am I in heaven? she asked inwardly as her eyes widened in horror. Where was the Captain anyway?

She immediately sprung into a sitting position only to regret it… She seemed to have acquired a splitting headache and she felt so dizzy.

She almost fell back towards the floor but the Commander’s arms kept her steady. “Easy, easy… Give yourself time to adjust from the effects

of the transporters…”

“Transporters? What do you mean by that, Commander?”

“The alien ship who attacked us initiated a transport in the Ready Room in an effort to beam you off this ship and into theirs… Their plans

were thwarted when Harry here was able to get a lock back on the two of you and beam you back on board, just in time as Tuvok disabled their

weapons array?”

“Where are they now?”

“They have retreated…”

Naomi rubbed her temples with her free hand. She felt dizzy again, and her vision was like the room around her was spinning. Her eyes widened

again as she touched the center of her forehead with hand. Where were her Ktarian forehead horns?

“Captain, is something the matter?”

“Captain?” she asked in shock as she met the First Officer’s gaze.

“Yes, you are the Captain…”

Naomi shook her head. Her counterpart was still unconscious, lying face down on the carpetted floor of the Captain’s Ready Room. Her vision

was now spinning wildly and her nausea was elevating. She closed her eyes for a while, trying to compose herself. However, she opened her

eyes, she felt her stomach become hollow and her tongue felt a strong bitterness in her mouth. “Commander, please take me to Sickbay…”

Naomi felt the darkness envelope her, first through vision, and in finality her consciousness…

+++++

PART 3

“Captain, wake up!”

Janeway opened her eyes slowly. She turned her head slightly towards the voice and the person who was calling to her.

She gasped. It was her!

She noticed that her counterpart was looking around, as though making sure that nobody her their conversation. “Captain, please…”

She was feeling a bit nauseous, and her head was Janeway, still unsure of what to call the woman in front of her, started to speak. “…Yes?

And you are?”

“Captain, please, keep your voice down, the Doctor will hear you…” she whispered anxiously as she helped Janeway sit up on the bio-bed.

“It’s me, Naomi…”

“Naomi? But you’re me…?”

“I know Captain, and you’re me!!!”

“What?!?” Janeway’s gaze shot towards the woman in front of her claiming to be Naomi Wildman. In desperation Naomi took hold of Janeway’s

hand and guided it towards her forehead.

She froze upon the impact of her fingers on a vertical row of small horns in the middle of her forehead. If that wasn’t enough, Naomi had

deliberately brought her a small mirror. “Now do you believe me?”

Confused and unable to speak, Janeway helplessly looked at herself then at her reflection on the mirror. She was Naomi…

“But how could this be? I don’t remembering any of this happening…?” she asked anxiously.

“Me too… I…” Naomi conceded but her reply was cut short when Commander Chakotay and her mother entered Sickbay and was greeted by the

Doctor… “Oh no!”

“What?”

“My mom is here… What are we going to do now?” she asked nervously in a hushed whisper as her mother approached the Captain.

“Stay calm!”

“Oh my God, Naomi! Sweetheart, are you alright?” Samantha asked as she pulled her daughter into her arms.

Janeway grew stiff from the contact. She cast a worried glance at Naomi but then decided to return Sam’s embrace. “Uh, yes, Mom… I’m

fine…” she smiled weakly, unable to think of what to say.

“Doctor, how are they?” Chakotay asked the EMH from behind Naomi.

“The Captain has experienced an acute case of Transporter Psychosis. She has been insisting ever since she regained consciousness that she was

Naomi, not the Captain. As for Ms. Wildman, I think she is fine. Although she had just awaken a few minutes ago, I haven’t detected any signs

of Transporter Psychosis… She is perfectly fine…” the EMH smiled at Janeway.

“So can I take Naomi home now, Doctor?”

“Yes you may. However, I do advise the Captain to remain in Sickbay for a few more hours for her treatment.”

“Understood.” Chakotay conceded. “Kathryn, I am also giving you a day-off from your duties so that you can recuperate…”

“One day off? Are you crazy?” Janeway asked incredulously. “I’ve got a job to do!”

All eyes went to her at her reaction. Janeway was frozen under Chakotay confused scrutiny and Sam’s version of the death glare. She felt

herself shrinking…

“Naomi! That’s not how you talk to Commander Chakotay? YOu should be ashamed of yourself…” Sam reprimanded as she glared at her daughter

then gave Chakotay an apologetic look. She then turned her attention back to her daughter.

“I… I’m sorry… Mom…?”

“I believe Naomi is also suffering from the symptoms of acute Transporter Psychosis as well… I suggest that she be left here in Sickbay for

treatment for a few more hours…” the EMH announced as he ran a tricorder scan on Janeway.

Sam nodded in approval. “Just hail me Doctor when Naomi is done here…”

“Um, Mom, can the Captain just take me home after the treatment?” Janeway asked nervously, trying to sound as juvenile as possible. She then

set her gaze on the floor.

“I… Um… I think the Capt— I mean Naomi and I need to talk about what just happened here…”

“Very well, we’ll leave them to your capable hands, Doctor…” Chakotay said, still not taking his eyes off Naomi. “Captain, Naomi…”

As soon as Chakotay and Sam left Sickbay, both Janeway and Naomi let out a big sigh. The Doctor eyed them carefully before closing his

tricorder. “We will begin treatment in a few minutes. Please prepare yourselves for the procedure…”

“Yes Doctor.” Janeway replied.

As soon as the Doctor disappeared into his office, Naomi approached her Captain, despaired. “Captain, what are we going to do?”

“First things first, Naomi… Let’s get through with this procedure… And then when I, I mean you bring me to your quarters we can create a

plan on how to go about this problem…”

“Yes Ma’am…” Naomi gave a mock salute.

Janeway only grinned. Even in this peculiar situation, Janeway found it hilarious to see herself salute herself — or something like that.

+++++++

PART 4

“Bye, Captain. Are you sure you are okay staying with my Mom for the night?”

“I’m not really sure Naomi, but I think I can manage…” Janeway smiled. “I’m sure Sam is a great mom… So I know I’ll manage…”

Janeway and Naomi were now outside of the Wildman’s quarters. They have agreed that they would act according to their physical appearance

until the time comes when they have found out how they ended up like this…

She had realized that this was a simple transporter accident just like when Neelix and Tuvok were fused together. However, it bothered her

that she knew nothing that shed light on what had happened to her and Naomi.

“Are you sure you can manage by yourself, Naomi? I mean you have my entire quarters to yourself?”

Naomi had been very agitated about their present situation from the very beginning. Not only because she was in her captain’s body, but also

because this entails the responsibility of running the ship as well…

“I can manage… I mean I’ll try…” Naomi stammered. Janeway looked up to the child that inhabited her body. Her face suddenly crumpled in

frustration and despair and tears flowed down her cheeks. “Oh I don’t know, Captain! I’m scared… I might not do things right…”

Janeway reached out to Naomi and wrapped her arms around the child who was trapped within her body. She knew that the picture would have been

absurb, the Captain of Voyager crying on the shoulder of a child.

She held her close. “Naomi, you must be strong, if you are me, you have to be just that! YOu must not let anyone see you crying… And you

must not let anyone know about this predicament… Whoever did this to us, we will find out. YOu must always remember that I’m going to be

always here for you, we have secret communications channel remember? All you need to do is hail me…”

Naomi nodded. “Yes Ma’am…”

Janeway wiped the tears from Naomi’s face and set her uniform straight. “Are we ready now?”

Naomi nodded again. She then reached out to the panel and pressed the door chime.

+++++++

PART 5

It was already 2247 hours. Naomi had been trying to get some sleep in the Captain’s quarters. However, no matter how much she tried to sleep,

she was restless. This was the first time that she slept apart from her mother, and the very first time she slept all alone in a room.

Naomi tossed again. She stared at the dark space before her. She groaned in frustration and sat up the Captain’s couch.

She reached out for her comm. badge at the end table behind her. “Computer open secure channel Delta seven.”

“Channel opened.”

“Naomi — I mean, Janeway to Naomi Wildman…”

There was no response.

“Janeway to Naomi Wildman, please respond.”

Still there was no response.

Naomi tensed. She didn’t know what to do. If the Captain would answer the hail she was about to do, she would have to go there to their

quarters. She breathed deeply and let it out. “Janeway to Naomi Wildman. Captain please respond…”

“This is Jane — Naomi Wildman here…” There was a momentary pause before Naomi heard her own voice speak up again, but in a hushed, small

voice. “Naomi, it’s 2250 hours. I have a duty shift in seven hours, what the matter…?” Janeway asked from the other end of the comm.

channel.

“Captain, I can’t sleep… Duty shift? I hope you haven’t forgotten already that I’m the one stuck in your body, so I’m going to your duty

shift tomorrow…”

“I’m sorry, Naomi. You are right. I have forgotten…” A pause. A sigh. “Would you like me to come over?”

“But what about my Mom?”

“Let me take care of that, Naomi. I’m coming over in a few minutes, okay? Janew — Wildman out…”

+++++++

PART 6

Janeway tiptoed into Sam’s bedroom and stopped just beside her bed. She hadn’t done this in years and certainly she wouldn’t start doing this

now but it seems that she was left with no choice. It’s either she let Sam worry over her or Naomi or whoever she was or she let her know

where she was going… This situation was starting to confuse her as well.

She attempted to reach for Sam’s shoulder and wake her up, but the attempt was thwarted when she turned to her side facing her. Janeway

grimaced and knelt in front of Sam.

“S — Mom-my…?”

There was no response.

“Mom…”

Sam stirred and fluttered opened slowly. She groaned. “Computer what time is it?”

“The time is 2255 hours…”

Sam groaned and looked at her. “Naomi, it’s only 2255 hours… Why aren’t you in bed?”

“Mom… I can’t sleep… Also, the Captain wishes to see me…”

“The Captain?!? Naomi, it’s an hour before midnight? Why would the Captain want to see you at this time…? She is probably asleep by now…”

Janeway groaned inwardly. How does she explain to Sam that she is the Captain, and not her daughter?

Sam was about to speak up again however she was interrupted by the voice that came from her comm. badge.

“Na — Janeway to Samantha Wildman.”

Sam looked at Janeway, and kept her eye on her while she talked to Naomi on the comm. “Wildman here. What can I do for you Captain?”

“I… I hope I haven’t awaken you, Sam… I’m really sorry…”

“No need for apologies, Captain. Naomi woke me up just a few minutes ago…”

“Did she tell you about my request?”

SAm arched an inquisitive brow. “Request? What request?”

“Well, um, I asked her to come over because I’m having a, um, sleepover…” Naomi stammered.

“Pardon me, Captain, but did you say a sleepover?”

“Yes, I mean, no… That’s not what I meant…” Naomi stammered again, uncertainty evident in her voice. “I need to talk to someone, and

that someone is, um, Naomi… I only mentioned a sleepover because Naomi might fall asleep here in my quarters…”

“Do you want her to come over now…?”

“Yes please… And oh, Cap — Naomi, please don’t forget to bring your Flotter doll with you…”

“Is that all, Captain?” Janeway asked.

“Yes that would be all. N — Janeway out.”

Janeway folded her arms over her juvenile chest. “Now do you believe me, Mom?”

Sam nodded, still confused with the conversation earlier with the Captain. “Well, Naomi, we’d better get you to the Captain…”

“Okay, Sa — I mean Mom…” Janeway marched out of the room and waited in the living area.

Sam, on the other hand, got off her bed and put on her robe. She then quickly fixed her hair and went out of the room. “Naomi, what are you

doing?”

“Waiting for you.”

“Where’s your Flotter doll? The Captain told you to bring your doll, didn’t she?”

“Oh, yeah. Flotter!” Janeway exclaimed as she disappeared back into Naomi’s room. “Computer lights on.”

Janeway scanned the room for a Flotter doll. What did a Flotter doll look like anyway? She asked inwardly. “Computer locate Nao — my

Flotter doll…”

“The Flotter doll is in your quarters.”

“Please specify.”

“Flotter doll is located on top of your dresser…”

“Oh!” As soon as she saw it, she got hold of it and immediately went out of her room.

+++++++

PART 7

The door chimed in the Captain’s quarters. Finally, they’re here. Naomi thought. “Come in.”

Sam entered with Janeway in tow. She eyed her commanding officer curiously as she noticed that the Captain was wearing a pair of pajamas that

her daughter would wear. Exactly the same design and print. She dismissed the idea and proceeded inside.

“Hello Captain…” Sam greeted apprehensively. “I hope everything’s fine with Naomi… She’s not in trouble, is she?”

Naomi shook her head, and smiled. Sam’s face was flushed with relief at the Captain’s reassurance and Janeway gave Naomi a congratulating

look. “No… No, she’s not… Mo — I mean Sam. I just wanted to talk to somebody…”

Sam wanted to comment on the Captain’s choice of companion but decided to just let it slip her mind. “Well, I think I should go now. See you

tomorrow at breakfast, Naomi. Mess Hall at 0630 hours… And also, please don’t keep the Captain up with your Flotter stories, sweetie okay?

She needs more sleep than any of us do…” she said as she bent down and kissed her daughter on the cheek. “Captain, good night…”

Janeway wondered what Sam meant by her statement, but she decided to take it on a much positive side. Maybe the crew notices that she works

herself too much. “Yes Mom…”

When Sam left, Naomi let out a huge sigh and let her shoulders slump. “That was a close one, Captain!” She exclaimed in relief.

“Don’t be to hard on yourself. If it weren’t for you, I couldn’t have convinced your mother to let me come here… I’m glad that you decided

to hail her…” Janeway smiled as she joined the child deeper into the living area of her quarters. She noticed that there were pillows and a

blanket on the long sofa. “Were you sleeping here, Naomi?”

Naomi nodded. “I didn’t like sleeping in your bed because well, um, it’s your bed Captain… I know I wouldn’t want others to do the same…

HOwever, I did take a blanket and a few pillows from your spare room… And I replicated my pajamas…”

Janeway chuckled in slight amusement. “…You didn’t want to go through my clothes as well… Okay, now that I’m here, I’d prefer that I

sleep in my bed and you are welcome to join me there if you’d like…”

Naomi beamed at the invitation. “I’d love to, Captain… But I’d prefer to sleep here, if it’s alright…”

“Of course it is…” Janeway reassured as she accompanied the child into the area where she was sleeping, or trying to for that matter. “Oh

by the way, here’s your Flotter doll, Naomi…”

Naomi took the doll with her and slipped under the blanket on the sofa. “Thanks Captain…”

“You’re welcome, Naomi…”

“Uh, Captain, are we going to do this everyday until we get switched back to ourselves?”

“I guess so, Naomi. I’ll be on the Bridge with you in all your duty shifts and I’ll accompany you wherever you go for as long as you are

wearing this uniform and for as long as we are like this…” Janeway said as she sat beside Naomi on the sofa and brushed the lock of hair

that covered her face. “I’ll even stay with you in the Ready Room and we’ll have to spend more time here in your quarters more often on your

off duty shifts.”

“Um, Captain?”

“What is it, Naomi?”

“Will we ever get to be switched back to the way we were?”

“I promise, we will Naomi… I promise we will…” Janeway smiled. She felt awkward tucking herself to sleep. Never had she dreamed of such

an event. But here she was now, tucking herself or Naomi to sleep. She looked at Naomi, whose eyes were starting to droop with drowsiness.

She bent down and kissed the child on her cheek. “Good night, Naomi…”

She then proceeded to her room and slept there.

+++++++

PART 8

“Naomi, wake up!”

“Huh? Mommy, please give me five more minutes…” Naomi groaned in her sleep as she turned to her side.

“Naomi Wildman, wake up! That’s an order, young lady!”

“What? Oh sorry Captain… I guess I overslept…” Naomi apologized.

Janeway folded her arms across her chest. “Aren’t you forgetting something?”

“Forget something?” Naomi glanced around the place she was sleeping. She had a pillow where she lay her head… There was a blanket draped

over her waist… Her Flotter doll lay beside her on the couch… What did she forget?

“Naomi?!?” Janeway gave her an expectant look.

It dawned to her that the she and the Captain still had switched bodies… “Oh sorry, Captain! I’ll take a bath in a minute… Just let me

fix my sleeping area…”

She jumped out of the sheets and quickly folded them. she then took her pillow and the blanket and ran to the room where she took it from.

She then returned seconds later. “Captain, aren’t you going to take a bath?”

Janeway shook her head. “I’ve already finished doing that. I didn’t sleep well last night so I decided to stay up… I finished my bath

about an hour ago. Oh by the way, did I get your clothes right?”

Naomi nodded. “Yes Ma’am. Nobody can tell the difference between us… Oh, what time is it?”

“It’s already 0600 hours. You’d better get going if you don’t want to be late for your duty shift! I, on the other hand, still have to see

your mother in the Mess Hall in forty-five minutes time…”

“Yes Ma’am.” Naomi scurried off to the bathroom and took her bath. Several minutes later, she emerged from the bath, clad in the Captain’s

robe.

“There you are! Come on, Naomi, you’ve got thirty minutes before your duty shift begins and you still haven’t eaten your breakfast yet…”

Janeway reminded as she gestured Naomi to sit on the chair across her dresser inside her room.

Naomi entered the Captain’s room. She noticed that the Captain had already prepared the uniform she was going to wear that day. “Captain?”

“Naomi, get in my uniform and then sit down here so that I can do your hair and your make up…”

She nodded apprehensively and did what she was told to do. Within minutes she was in the full Captain’s command uniform, complete with the

pips and the shiny boots. She looked at herself in awe in the mirror. So this is how it feels to be in the Captain’s shoes…

She shook the idea off her head and sat on the chair. “Captain, I’m scared.”

“Don’t be…” Janeway smiled reassuringly at her as she started drying Naomi’s hair with a dryer. “I’m going to be there the whole time

okay?”

“Yes ma’am…”

“Now, let’s get this over with…”

Janeway finished with the entire hair and make-up ritual a few minutes later. “Now that I’m done, I have to get you on the Bridge and I’ll

have to see Sam in the Mess Hall…”

“But Captain, I haven’t had my breakfast yet..”

“I’ll bring you some on my way to the Bridge…” Janeway assured. “Now let’s go… Computer lights out.”

The duo exited the room and proceeded to the nearest turbolift. “Deck One.”

“Um, Captain…”

“Yes Naomi?”

“What would I do if there’s nothing to do on the Bridge? You know, no alien attack or nebula to explore?”

“Well, you could always excuse yourself from the Bridge and stay in the Ready Room…”

“Okay…”

The Computer beeped. Janeway looked at Naomi. She saw the anxiety in the child’s eyes. “Don’t worry Naomi, you’ll be just fine…”

Naomi nodded and exited the turbo lift. Janeway stayed for a while and looked at Naomi as she proceeded to her command chair. She heard Harry

announce her arrival with his usual “Captain on the Bridge.” Janeway couldn’t help but be amused as she saw the child stiffen at Harry’s

announcement.

“Good morning, everyone.” She heard Naomi call out nervously to the entire Bridge crew before sitting down on the Captain’s chair.

As soon as she saw this, Janeway ordered. “Computer Deck Two.”

*******

PART 9

Janeway entered the Mess Hall and found it quite full that morning. Neelix approached her and asked jovially.

“Good morning, Naomi…”

“Good morning Mr. Neelix… I mean Neelix…” Janeway corrected as she saw an awkward expression on the Talaxian’s face. She scanned the

room for someone she was supposed to meet that day. “Have you seen S — I mean my Mom?!?”

Neelix grinned and pointed at blond woman sitting at the other end of room. Sam was sitting alone, reading a PADD. She didn’t look like she

had started eating yet but there was no harm in asking…

“Has my Mom eaten yet?”

The Talaxian shook his bald blue head and sighed. “I’m afraid not, Naomi. She insisted that she waited for you before she started eating…”

“Gee thanks, Neelix…” Janeway retorted, trying to sound as juvenile as she can be. Being young has its pros and cons. And since this

wasn’t her body it was her obligation to take care of it while she’s in it. “Oh Mr. Neelix?”

“Yes Naomi?”

“What are you serving for breakfast?!?”

The Talaxian grinned at the child’s enthusiasm for breakfast. “Well, Ms. Wildman, we have Raisin and Banana Pancakes a la Neelix…”

Janeway raised a brow, intrigued. “Oh? Well I’d like to have one… NO make it two, one for S — my Mom and one for me… And one cup of

coffee…”

“Coffee for you, Naomi?” Neelix asked, unsure. He eyed the child in front of him suspiciously but then shook it off.

“I mean, one cup of coffee for my MOm, and a tall glass of milk…” Janeway corrected, hoping that Neelix didn’t detect her error.

“Okay, two plates of Raisin and Banana pancakes a la Neelix, a cup of coffee and a tall glass of milk coming right up…” Neelix announced as

he disappeared inside the kitchen. He then reappeared a few minutes later, with two plates in both hands and placed them on the counter as he

poured coffee on a cup and replicated a glass of milk for his goddaughter. “Here you go, Naomi…”

“Thanks Neelix. I’ll be back for the drinks in a few seconds…” Janeway concluded as she took the two plates with her as she trodded towards

Sam’s direction. “Hi S — I mean, Mom…”

Sam looked up. She beamed as she saw her daughter with their breakfast in hand. She took the plates and settle them on the table in front of

her. “Hi HOney… You brought breakfast…”

“Uh wait Mom… I still have to get the drinks…”

Janeway came back with their drinks and sat down in front of Sam. “Here’s your coffee, Mom…”

“It smells good…”

“I’m glad you liked it…” Although Janeway was tempted to take even a small sip from the coffee, she stopped herself, remembering this was

Naomi’s body, not hers. “Sorry I’m late by the way… The Captain had a few other things she wanted to tell me before she went to the

Bridge…”

Sam looked up from her cup and asked. “Oh? And what did she say?”

“She said that I should work beside her more these days… I’m her, um… Assistant… Yes I’m the Captain’s assistant…”

Sam arched an inquisitive brow as she chewed on a forkful of pancakes she just placed into her mouth. “Assistant? The Captain said that?”

Janeway nodded as she started eating the pancakes in front of her. “Yeah I’m the Captain’s assistant and I’ve got Bridge duties when the

Captain has Bridge duties… I just excused myself today because she said it’s the first day of the job and I still had to meet you…”

Samantha chuckled heartily at what her daughter had just told her. Naomi was no liar but she couldn’t help but be amused by her daughter’s

enthusiasm to start working as the Captain’s assistant. “Very well, Crewman Wildman. I guess I shouldn’t keep the Captain waiting… YOu

have Bridge duties to perform… And so do I… Are you done?”

Janeway had just finished the last morsel of the delectable breakfast she was eating. She nodded and took a huge gulp from her milk. She then

wiped the milk mustache from above her lip and stood up. “REady as always, Ensign Wildman…”

Samantha laughed at her daughter’s remark. The duo marched almost in unison towards the exit of the Mess Hall and proceeded to their Bridge

duties.

*******

PART 10

Naomi had been sitting on the Captain’s chair for twenty minutes now, and she had been shifting into various sitting positions since then.

Chakotay had noticed the discomfort the Captain had been showing eversince she sat down her chair that morning. He leaned over to her position

and cleared his throat. “Does the chair bite, Captain?”

Naomi’s nervous gaze darted towards Chakotay’s direction, an invisible bead of sweat threatening to trickle down the side of her neck. “The

chair? What about the chair, Commander?”

Chakotay smiled. “Well, you have been shifting into I think twelve different seating positions for the last twenty minutes, eversince you sat

down on that chair… Is there something bothering you?”

Naomi swallowed hard. She opened her mouth to speak however, it was interrupted when the ship shook hard and threw her face down unto the

floor. “Commander, what’s happening?” Naomi asked Tuvok as she pushed herself up back into the Captain’s chair.

“We have sustained phaser fire, shields are holding…”

“Where is the shooting coming from?”

“The ’shooting’ is coming from an unknown source, Captain…”

“Um…” Naomi tried to think, what would the Captain do. She noticed that everyone’s eyes were on her. It took another ship-wide shudder for

her to come up with a decision. “Red Alert!”

Suddenly, Naomi’s mind became blank. What should she do?

“Captain?” Chakotay asked her confused. She looked at him with blank, agitated eyes.

“Um… Na — I mean, Captain Janeway to Naomi Wildman, please report to the Bridge immediately!”

Everyone on the Bridge was now staring at her, nonplussed at what she just did. Chakotay broke the trance when he asked. “Naomi Wildman?

Captain do we need to return fire!”

“Um… Yes, return fire…”

“I’m arming phaser banks…” Chakotay declared as he tapped a few commands on the console beside his chair. “Firing phasers…”

A few seconds later a console on the Bridge exploded as the ship received another blow from the cloaked enemy ships. Naomi was again thrown to

the floor, face down.

“Shields are down to fifty-two percent…”

“Commander, I don’t know what to do!” Naomi was now on the verge of crying. She decided to crawl and forced herself to hide behind the small

space behind the command chair. “What should I do?”

*******

PART 11

Janeway and Sam were on their way to the turbolift when the ship shuddered violently. It seems that it was under attack.

“Naomi, I suggest that you go to Neelix at this time. It’s not safe to be on the Bridge right now…” Sam instructed as she held Janeway’s

arms, steadying the two of them as the ship continued to shake.

“I can’t, Mom, I need to go to the Bridge, the Captain needs me!”

“Naomi, listen to me! Now is not the time to bother the Captain! She has her hands full right now, and I don’t think she needs more

distractions!” Sam reasoned.

“But Mom!”

“No buts, Naomi!!!”

“Sam, would you please listen to me!!! The Captain needs me on the Bridge!!! The crew needs me!!!”

“What did you call me?!? Naomi, you’re taking this Captain’s assistant thing too far, it has to stop right now!!! It’s no longer amusing!!!”

“Sam you are not listening to me, I’m not Naomi!!! I am the Captain!!!”

“Naomi, I’m warning you…” Sam warned as she glared at Janeway. “I…”

She was interrupted by the chirping of her daughter’s comm. badge. “Um… Na — I mean, Captain Janeway to Naomi Wildman, please report to

the Bridge immediately!”

Janeway grabbed the dumbfounded Wildman’s hands and pulled her forcefully inside the turbolift. “Sam, I’d like to explain things to you at a

later time, now we are needed on the bridge…”

“Computer Deck One, Bridge…”

Janeway looked up to Sam. She noticed a concerned and puzzled look on her face.

“Naomi, are you experiencing a relapse of Acute Transporter Psychosis?”

“What? Sam, I assure you that I am not Naomi! I’m Captain Kathryn Janeway, captain of this vessel!!!”

The turbolift halted and opened. Janeway led the way out however gasped at what she saw. Naomi, the acting Captain, was scared out of her

wits, crying while she tried to hide behind the command chair…

The ship shuddered again.

“Shields are down to forty-three percent!”

“Sam, go to your station! Report!”

“Three EPS conduits have just exploded in Deck Four…” Sam called out from her console.

Chakotay looked up to her and gave her an incredulous look. “Naomi?”

“No time to explain, Commander!” She interrupted as she went towards frightened Naomi. “Naomi, are you alright?”

Chakotay saw the Captain nod. Naomi helped the Captain to her feet and settled her on the command chair.

“Naomi? Captain? What the heck is going on here?” Chakotay asked with a hint of irritation in his voice.

“Stand down, Commander. I am indeed the Captain of this ship!”

“Naomi, you are not the Captain!”

“Don’t start with me, Commander! I’ll explain everything, but first we have to keep this ship in one piece!!! Have they decloaked yet?”

“No, Naomi, they haven’t…” Tuvok replied with an arched brow.

“Mr. Kim, hail them at all frequencies…”

“Commander?” Kim looked at Chakotay for approval. Chakotay nodded compellingly.

Kim tapped a few buttons on his console. Suddenly, it started beeping incessantly. “Naomi, they’re responding…”

“On screen.” Janeway ordered as she put her hands on her hips. “Commanding officer of the Lead Alien Vessel, this is the Federation Starship

Voyager and I am Capt — I mean I am Naomi Wildman, the Captain’s assistant…”

A big scaly alien figure appeared on screen. He had numerous dermal protrusions on his bald head and his eyes were set deep inside his face.

He had sharp horns framing his face and a set of sharp teeth to make him look vicious.

The alien laughed at the sight of the Captain in Naomi’s body. His laughter echoed and thundered throughout the entire bridge. “You are the

Captain’s assistant, you puny little defenseless child?!?”

“I assure you I’m not what you think… Now, may I know why is it that you have been attacking our vessel?”

“I am the Orfick of these Torali vessels. I am Koratus. And I’m insulted that a child speaks to me in behalf of her commanding officer…”

“I assure you, Koratus, that this was not our intention… Our Captain…”

“Chakotay, don’t. I speak for myself. It is I… Trust me…” Janeway cut-in as she placed a hand on Chakotay’s arm, stopping him. She

looked at him straight in the eye and gave him a nod.

“I assure you Orfick Koratus that it isn’t the intention of the Captain to insult you for sending me over… She isn’t just herself today…

HOwever I do assure you that I am as capable as any of these officers present here today…” Janeway started. “If you decloak and lower your

shields, we would like you to beam aboard the ship and let’s discuss this predicament…”

Naomi glanced at each and everyone of the people on the Bridge, including her mother. They held their breath as the Captain — in her form -

– negotiated with the aliens.

A few seconds passed and the reptilian alien growled and conceded to the idea. “Naomi Wildman, I will transport myself and a few of my Torali

advisers over to your ship…”

Janeway smiled with satisfaction. “Very well, Orfick. I await your arrival. End transmission…”

“Now we need to talk…” Chakotay demanded as he marched passed Janeway and into the Ready Room, with the faux Captain in tow.

*******

PART 12

“Naomi, what you did outside there was unorthodoxed, unprecedented, irresponsible and totally disrespectful towards me and the other senior

officers!” Chakotay started, his anger seething but controlled. “Are you experiencing a relapse in your most recent illness?”

“No I’m certainly not, Commander!” Janeway countered.

“Then why the heck did you do what you did in the Bridge just a few minutes ago?”

“Because I was trying to save the ship!”

Naomi was sitting silently on the chair across the Captain’s desk. She was still frightened at what happened in the Bridge earlier. If the

Captain hadn’t interceded, she would have been the cause of the destruction and death of the ship and its crew!

Her sobs started to subside but her heartbeat was still racing. The events that have transpired were still quite fresh in her mind. Now, her

two commanding officers were arguing about relapses in Acute Transporter Psychosis, which in fact has never occurred.

“Captain, Commander please… Please don’t fight…” Naomi pleaded as she wiped the tears from her face, and stood up to help resolve this

argument.

“Kathryn, what the heck happened to you there?” Chakotay asked Naomi, his voice rising. Naomi’s tears started to fall down again.

“Chakotay, she has nothing to do this! I have nothing to do with this!”

“What do you mean? This is a case of a relapse of Acute Trans…”

Janeway was starting to get irritated. She put her hands on her hips and gave Chakotay him a taste of her known glare. “Chakotay when I told

you that this was me, I hoped that you would give me your trust…”

“I gave you my trust because I trust you Naomi…”

“For the last time, Chakotay, I am not Naomi! I am Kathryn Janeway!”

“Okay, if you say so… Prove it!”

“Captain, please…” Naomi pleaded in between sobs. “Please resolve this…”

Janeway walked up to elevated part of the Ready Room and stood in front of the view port. She rubbed her neck, as she tried to find something

that could prove her identity.

She was about start when Samantha Wildman entered. “Captain I…” Samantha stopped as she saw the Captain sobbing as she sat in one corner of

the room while Chakotay and her daughter were engrossed in one very serious conversation. “Naomi?”

“Sam…” Janeway said as she turned to look at the perplexed mother.

“Naomi? What the heck is going on?”

“Hi Mom…” Naomi whispered from the chair she was sitting on. Sam looked at her daughter then at the child who was supposed to be the

Captain.

“I… I still don’t understand…” Sam muttered, confused as she took a seat across her daughter in the Captain’s form.

“We have no idea what has happened here but the Captain said that she would try and do everything she can to get us back in the right

bodies…” Naomi reassured as she went down on her knees and wrapped her arms around her mother.

Janeway noticed Sam stiffen, but she eventually returned the gesture as she realized that this woman in front of her was indeed her daughter.

“Oh Naomi is this really you?”

The faux Captain nodded and smiled juvenilely. “Yes Mom, it’s me. The Captain and I got switched…”

Sam looked at the faux Naomi across the room. “How did this happen, Nao — I mean, Captain?”

Janeway approached Sam, forgetting what she was about to do. “Sam, I assure you, I’ll get to the bottom of whatever happened to me and Naomi.

And get things back the way they used to be… That’s a promise…”

Chakotay, unsure of what to do for the first time in his life, approached the trio of women. “So if you really are Kathryn, what are we

supposed to do about this? Should I inform the crew?”

“I think it’s best that they know… But first things first, we have guests that will arrive soon and I need to meet them…” Janeway

announced as she started to march out of the room.

“Um, Captain, are you forgetting something?”

“What?”

“Um, I’m still you and you are still me… How will you run the ship like this? I can’t run the ship like this Captain… I’m scared,

especially not after the Torali attack almost an hour ago…”

“Then what do you suggest that we do?” Janeway asked, a hand on her hip.

“Well for one, Captain, I think a change of attire would be appropriate…” Sam suggested as she pointed at what her commanding officer and

her daughter were wearing.

“And duty arrangements would have to be agreed upon…” Chakotay added, his mood slightly alleviating.

“What are you saying? That I wear the command uniform? And my pips as well?”

The trio in front of her nodded.

Janeway smiled. “Well in that case, I’ll have to officially grant you the Captain’s assistant’s position, Naomi. Since I’m going to be stuck

in your body for quite sometime until we resolve this dilemma, I suggest that you stay by my side so that I wouldn’t look so juvenile as I do

now. Let’s just say that you are acting as my guardian… What do you say?”

Naomi beamed. “So I won’t be running the ship by myself anymore?”

Janeway nodded. “You may not run the ship by yourself anymore, but you are going to help me run it, with the help of the other senior officers

as well… What do you say?”

“I’d love to Captain…”

“Now, I’ll have to get changed. We have guests to meet…”

“I’ll have to ask Naomi to help me make the guests feel welcome while you are changing, Captain…” Chakotay suggested. “In that way, we can

accommodate the guests and their questions before we start making first contact…”

“Agreed. Are there anymore questions? Naomi?” Janeway looked at Sam, Chakotay, then at Naomi… “So if there are none, you are all

dismissed. I will meet you in the Briefing Room in fifteen minutes…”

“Yes, Ma’am…” The trio was about to march out of the room when Janeway called their attention back.

“Naomi?”

“Oh sorry, Captain…” Naomi smiled sheepishly as she took out the pips from her collar and handed them to her commanding officer. “See you

later Captain…” Naomi said, as she and her mother went out of the Captain’s Ready Room with Chakotay.

*******

PART 13

Fifteen minutes later, Janeway entered the Briefing room. She was in a command uniform and her hair was tied in a ponytail behind her back.

She was shocked to find that everyone was in complete attendance before she met with Koratus and his advisers.

“Captain…” Harry Kim greeted unsurely.

Janeway smiled. “At ease, Ensign. So I presume you have briefed the senior officers, Chakotay?”

Chakotay nodded. “They all know about the unlikely switch between you and Naomi. As for the rest of the crew, I have tasked the senior

officers to do the explaining to them. I am sure that they are capable in doing the task themselves.”

“Good, now since that is already settled, I think we should agree upon what should be done with the command structure in this ship…

Obviously since I’m trapped in Naomi’s body I am still in command, however, since I need someone to pose as my ‘guardian’ in front of the

Torali, I’d say Naomi should always stay by my side. She will report during my duty shift and she will assist me in whatever way she can for

as long as it is inclined with her capabilities. Knowing that this situation is in a crucial point, I suggest that you help Naomi in every way

you can in familiarizing herself with this ship and Starfleet protocols and directives as much as you can… Is that understood?”

“Yes Ma’am.” Everyone replied in unison.

Janeway noticed that Naomi had still worn her command uniform. She smiled in approval. “Naomi, I know that you are not yet comfortable with

the situation, however, I need you to pose as mature as you can… Can you do that?”

Naomi nodded and smiled. “Yes Ma’am.”

“Very good. Do you think you can help me in making First Contact with the Torali?”

“Yes Ma’am. I’ve been studying Starfleet First Contact protocols and procedures and I’ll try to do my very best in this situation Captain…”

Janeway was about to comment on what Naomi had just told her but it was interrupted when her comm. badge chirped. “Bridge to the Captain.”

“Go ahead.”

“Ma’am, we are receiving an incoming message from the lead Torali ship. It’s from Orfick Koratus Ma’am…”

“Patch it through the Briefing room.”

A few seconds later, Koratus’s reptilian facade appeared on the Briefing room’s console.

“Naomi Wildman, we will be transporting ourselves to your ship in five minutes. Is your Captain still unwell?”

“Yes I believe she still is. However, assure you that your stay here will be well taken care of sir…”

Koratus snorted sarcastically. “I’m still very skeptical with a child’s ability to take over in running a ship in the absence of their leader.

The idea is too preposterous… That would be all. Koratus out.”

The transmission ended and Janeway turned her attention back to the people in the Briefing room. “Well, you heard the Orfick. Let’s get to

work then…”

*******

PART 14

Janeway went to Transporter room One, escorted by a team of Security personnel led by Tuvok. Naomi had tagged along with her as agreed upon by

the two of them…

As soon as Janeway entered the room, she signaled the transporter controller to beam their guests aboard. Orfick Koratus and two of his Torali

advisers materialized in front of them.
Aside from their already known facial features, the Torali are a huge people. Their bone structure was quite unique since it included obvious

broad shoulders, and densely muscled bodies. Because of this, they wore what seemed to be a kind of body armor which brought out their bodies

muscular outlines. Unlike his two advisers, Koratus’ horns that were mounted on his reptilian forehead were sharper and longer than that of

the other two Torali. Also, they were adorned with melted metallic ore which were melted and coated, which gave it a more lustrous and

distinguished appeal to the onlooker.

In general, Janeway concluded that the Torali was a reptilian race, probably a native specie in the Delta Quadrant.

“Orfick Koratus, we welcome you and your people on board. This is Lt. commander Tuvok, my chief security officer. And this is Kathryn

Janeway, my uhm… My assistant…”

“Naomi Wildman, these are my advisers, Khari Ostak and Khari Jolosh・ Where do we proceed?”

“This way please・ Janeway gestures them to go out of the Transporter Room and into the corridor.

“So tell me Wildman child, how does a child like you end up as the Captain’s assistant?” Koratus asked as they boarded the turbolift.

“It’s a long story, Orfick・ I suggest we delay that・

Koratus’ laughed and it thundered across the corridor. “You’d be surprised, Wildman child if I told you to amuse me with your story・

“At a later time, Orfick, if it’s alright with you…”

Koratus snorted. “Very well, Wildman child… But it is still preposterous! You as your commanding officer’s assistant!” Koratus’s laugh

thundered again.

Janeway looked up to Naomi, who was trying her best to hide her jitters, with an incredulous arch of her brow.

The nerve! Janeway mused ruefully.

*******

PART 15

Janeway, Tuvok and Naomi proceeded to the Briefing room where Chakotay had been waiting.

“Orfick, May I present to you, Kathryn Janeway’s First Officer, Commander Chakotay.”

Chakotay bowed his head slightly in recognition and urged them to sit.

“Orfick, we were wondering why your fleet of Torali vessels have scanned us several hours ago?”

“Standard procedures… YOu are strangers from this part of the Quadrant, and you have trespassed upon our territory, it is our right to know

if you are a technologically advanced specie…”

“I understand… We have our own protocols as well・ However, what we don’t get is the attack that your fleet brought about just a few hours

ago? Was it necessary?” Janeway asked.

Koratus stood up, hovering over Janeway. Naomi quivered ever so slightly. “I, as a Torali Orfick, respect your request to discuss this matter

on your ship… What I do not like is the idea that a child questions my capabilities as an authority on the matter at hand!”

“Orfick, we are not questioning your abilities・

“Oh? Then what do you call this inquisition? Naomi Wildman, I have been an Orfick for almost five centuries. My tactics as well as my

judgment has never been questioned by any of my subordinates・ You are in our part of space, and I suggest that you do the same or else・

Janeway’s eyebrows shot up on her Ktarian forehead. She was about to reply to Koratus’ subtle threat when Naomi stood up.

“・h, Orfick Koratus, Cap - I mean Naomi Wildman isn’t questioning your abilities, she’s merely asking why there was an unprecedented attack on

our ship?”

“Ah the child’s assistant speaks・ I fear you are only reiterating what she has just asked me, Kathryn Janeway! And this has insulted me more

・ Koratus, shot a murderous glance at Naomi, who had kept her self leveled with the Reptilian Torali Official as much as she can. “I believe

that we should end this discussion right now and・

Naomi stood up and returned Koratus’ demeanor. “And what? Start a war with us・ Don’t you think you’re doing a tactical flaw there Orfick?

Naomi Wildman was merely asking you a few standard questions on our part, and we’re sorry if you were offended by it. We don’t like the idea

of being threatened and we will defend ourselves if it is necessary・

“Now you’re the one threatening me, insignificant female! You have initiated an act of war between our two people!”

“Orfick, what Kathryn Janeway said・ Janeway tried to subdue the argument when Naomi stopped her・

“Captain, please, I may be a child but I’m not na・e! This man and his people have perform so-called ’standard tactical procedures’ on our

ship and in the process left the two of us in this state・ I can’t let them get away with that that easily・

Koratus shot a glance at his advisers, then to the senior crew, then finally at Janeway. “Child? Captain? What is the meaning of this?”

*******

PART 16

Janeway glanced at Naomi’s direction. She had been emotionally bottled up for the past few days because of this predicament.

She cleared her throat and stood up. “Let me explain・

“You better explain this Kathryn Janeway. Because in the Torali homeworld, a child assuming the position of a high ranking position is a very

grave offense, punishable by death!”

“Captain, I don’t suggest that you should reveal such information to our guests・ Tuvok interrupted.

“It is vital that we get this matter cleared as soon as possible, Tuvok.”

The dark Vulcan merely arched a brow and resumed listening to the discussion.

Janeway cleared her throat and started. “Yesterday, two Torali vessels had us scanned. That was the purpose of the inquiry a while ago. What

we don’t get was that after the scan, a transporter beam was set to scan and transport me from my Ready Room. Do you know the reason why,

Orfick?”

“I don’t think any Torali has ever done that. Torali officials and diplomats usually converse with representatives from other races through

discussions such as these, not by plucking them out of their ships! That is very cowardly in the Torali rules of diplomacy and warfare.”

“I see.” Janeway said and continued. “Nonetheless, I was in my Ready Room with Naomi Wildman at that time when an attack and an attempted

transport occurred. I don’t know about your technology, Orfick, but I do know that after that attempted transport, Naomi and I were switched!”
“That can’t be possible. Torali engineers have perfected the transporter systems on all Torali vessels. What you say is an outrage!”

“Are you calling me a liar, Orfick?” Janeway asked, irritation starting to get the best of her.

“That is not what I was implying, however, you are accusing us of something of the utmost impossibility!”

“We are not accusing you, we are just asking for clarifications. This wouldn’t have happened if that Torali vessel hadn’t attempted that

transport・ On the other hand, we would like to know how we could reverse this condition.”

“I will have a talk with my Chief Medical Officer. I will have him contact your own Medical officer・

Janeway smiled satisfactorily. “Excellent. The sooner we figure this out, the better. Till then, diplomatic or trade negotiations between us

will have to be delayed.”

Koratus consulted the other two Torali officials who were with him. The three of them talked in their native tongue and Koratus’ reptilian

face crumpled at the suggestion.

“My advisers have told me that risking a conflict between you would be dangerous. You are more technologically advanced than us and engaging

you in battle would be quite futile! I will not risk it. We wish to have the remainder of this discussion be moved to a much later time, a

time when everything has been settled・

Janeway gave a slight nod. “I concur. This way then. Please・

She gestured them towards the exit of the Briefing room.

+++++

“Enter.”

“Patriarch, we have received news・

“Is it good Zorak・”

“Yes, Patriarch. It has been confirmed that the switch was successful・ We may now proceed to plan B・

“But what about Koratus? He would most likely interfere with our plans・

“Leave him be. He will fall hard and it will commence as soon as plan B will be pushed through. The Voyager will be the key to his downfall,

and he will fall so hard that he would kneel in front of me and plead for himself and his own life・

A sinister laugh roared and echoed throughout the darkened room.

*******

PART 17

Both the Torali Chief Medical Officer as well as Voyager’s own EMH worked for several hours now on devising a plan to switch the Captain and

Naomi back to their proper bodies.

The EMH and Tokai, the Torali CMO, came out of the holodeck with disappointment

“It’s no use, Captain. The simulation we’ve conducted basing on the events that you and Naomi have recounted don’t add up. We’ve already

tried several simulations, all of them unsuccessful・

Janeway bit back her disappointed and gave her Doctor a reassuring glance. As she was used to, she was about to clap the holographic doctor on

the shoulder, but instead she patted his arm, knowing that it was the only thing she could reach as of the moment.

“There is always another day Doctor. I would prefer we let our guest sleep and rest before you two explore other solutions at a later time.”

The EMH nodded and escorted his guest away from the Captain. Janeway, on the other hand, decided to take a walk. It’s been a long time since

she had done that. She pondered, while she sauntered down an empty corridor in Deck Six, that she had been too much cooped up with her work.

Work, which meant reading more reports in the form of numerous PADDs, piled in stacks on top of her Ready Room desk. Work, which as of the

moment, was more of a monotony in her life that didn’t appeal to her the least bit.

She boarded an empty turbolift at the end of the deck. She took one last look at the empty corridor before the lift doors closed in front of

her. Most of the time, she wouldn’t mind seeing Deck six to be this “empty”, however, for her it was quite unusual. “Deck two.”

The turbolift hummed as it moved. Janeway leaned her head back at the wall of the lift, and closed her eyes. Despite what had been happening

to her, she smiled inwardly and couldn’t quite grasp the concept of her being stuck in Naomi’s body. A concept, which both frightened her and

elated her all at the same time.

Elated, since she felt so energetic, so vibrant that nothing could seem to lower her energy levels. In short, she was hyper-active. And she

wasn’t on coffee for the past two days・

Frightened, because as much as she liked her new found energy and life, this wasn’t her body, but Naomi’s・ She didn’t have the guts to give up

now, when the child was stuck in her own body. She wasn’t that old, however, she was still old enough that in several years she could be

consider a mother, and if worst comes to worse, a grandmother. Her life was at a phase wherein she has seen, felt and tasted almost anything

that she thought had tugged at her curiosity. Naomi, on the other hand, was still at the start of her life. Despite the fact that she was in

her body, she was still a child and she couldn’t live with the fact that maybe they’ll be stuck in their switched bodies forever. It would be

just like sentencing the child to a slow and painful early death・

The turbolift beeped as it signaled its arrival on Deck Two. Janeway got out of it and continued her stroll towards the Mess Hall.

It was still around 1800 hours the last time she checked the computer for the time. It couldn’t have been that long since she left the

holodeck. As usual, the Mess Hall was quite jam-packed, just as she had expected it to be. She noticed that the crew who were dining there

seemed to be quite busy with their meals. So busy and she figured that she might just grab a bite to eat and leave the Mess Hall

inconspicuously. She smiled inwardly as she tried to do her covert plan.

Unknown to her, Tom Paris and B’elanna Torres had noticed her arrival in the Mess Hall and noticed her trying to blend in with the crowd.

Although the news of her and Naomi getting switched by that Torali’s transporters had spread like wildfire across the ship right after the

incident at the Bridge, many of the crew started speculating, some were even doubtful about the Captain’s capacity to lead the ship in her

“current” condition.

However, everything was explained clearly to each and everyone of them as soon as Chakotay had briefed the senior officers about the situation

and had reassured them that everything was under control. It was their turn however, to brief their subordinates of the current situation,

even though some of them expressed mixed feelings of uncertainty of the Captain’s abilities at present.

“I’d bet you two days rations B’el that she would try to get herself some coffee from that replicator and she wouldn’t get anything from it

except milk and all those good, nutritious food stuff that we used to eat as kids・ Paris grinned as he leaned his head towards the direction

of their Commanding officer.

Torres arched an incredulous at him and slugged him on the arm. “You already know that Flyboy, since I bet you either talked to Sam about her

daughter’s eating habits or you were personally asked by Chakotay or the Doc to alter the Captain’s dietary bracket・

“Ouch! That hurts B’el, what did you do that for?” He asked as he rubbed his free hand over the throbbing part of his arm, which received his

girlfriend’s not-so strong blow moments ago. “Okay then, let’s try another bet shall we・

“Very well, what is it?”

“I bet you two days rations that despite Neelix’s indispensability over there, he would notice the Captain’s presence, get her attention, send

almost half of the people in this room into Red Alert, and try to get out of her way as soon as they can as well as get her to eat tonight’s

evening special・

“Two days right? And if one of it doesn’t go on all your conditions, I win?” When Paris merely confirmed it with a mischievous wiggle of his

brows, she grinned and said, “It’s a deal!”

Janeway was already quite inconspicuous when she moved towards the replicators and she breathed a sigh of relief when she reached it without

anyone quite noticing that she was there.

“Coffee black.”

“Unable to comply. Naomi Wildman doesn’t have any credits for black Coffee・

“Okay”, Janeway frowned and suppressed the urge to use her command codes to override the computer’s programming manually. Then she remembered

that she couldn’t drink coffee since she was still inside Naomi’s body, despite the strong urge to drink it as of the moment. “Milk with

honey, hot.”

“Unable to comply. Naomi Wildman doesn’t have any credits for hot milk with honey・

“Darn!!!” she hissed silently. She was starting to get annoyed about her inability to get anything from the replicators outside her quarters

or that of her Ready room. Even the replicators there were programmed against her. She couldn’t get anything that wasn’t “nutritious” in the

Doctor’s book.
“Ah, Captain! I see that you are having trouble with the replicators!”

*******

PART 18

At Neelix’s acknowledgment, most of the crew who were lining up to get a tray of their dinner from the Talaxian turned around, wide-eyed at the

sight of her.

A chorus of uncertain and uneasy “good evening, Captain!” greeted her as some of them snapped into attention.

Janeway gave them a nod of acknowledgment as some of them moved out of the way to make room for her. She felt quite awkward at a situation:

her crew scurrying at the sight of her. She wondered inwardly was she that of a tyrant?

She shook it off and gave them a reassur

Geen opmerkingen: