zaterdag 14 april 2007

Day 7 (Stardate 52059.9)

Disclaimer: Paramount owns everything Trek. I’m just using some of their
stuff for the satisfaction of my overactive imagination. No infringement
intended… However, the characters in this story are mine…

Lieutenant Junior Grade Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log Stardate 52059.9

Today marks the seventh day of my stay here in the Sentry. Nothing much has happened since we left space dock. I was able to meet the Captain for a short while but other than that, I have not talked to him at all.

As far as I can tell and heard, Captain Vorak seems to be a good leader. Wise and sound in judgment. However, he was Vulcan. He followed the dictates of logic and regulation to the letter.

***

I was just about to go to the Bridge when I was summoned by the Captain.

“Captain Vorak to Ensign Jarvis. Please report to my Ready Room.”

“Aye sir. On my way, Jarvis out.”

At first I thought I had done something wrong, however as I neared his Ready room, I felt a bit nervous meeting him. It was just first meeting jitters.

I rang the door chime.

“Enter.” As I entered the Ready room, I saw a dark-haired Vulcan sitting behind the Captain’s desk. He looked thirty years old, more or less, in Terran years. But I knew he was older than that. Most Vulcan’s were…

“I presume you are Ensign Jarvis, the Assistant Chief Security Officer, assigned to the Beta Shift?”

“Yes sir.”

“Very well. Let me give you the basics in working under my command. We are going to embark on a mission that will take us several years in deep space. I expect a fully competent working crew within the duration of this mission. And since you are assistant head of your department, it is logical that you follow all ship’s protocals and be an example to your fellow crewmates…”

“I have been in command of this starship for the last fifteen years of my career. I’ve been serving with Starfleet long before you were born and I expect full compliance to all my orders. I would also expect you to join Staff meeting in the event that Commander Romanov is unavailable and I expect full reports from you, approved by your Department head, submitted to me by the end of each week…”

“I see that you have been wondering why you have been chosen by Commander Romanov to assist her in her departmental duties…”

I nodded. “Yes sir.”

“You have been highly recommended by your professors at the Academy and we have read your Academy student file. You may not have graduated from the top of your class but your records as well as your instructors insist that you are the man for the job. Do not let them down…”

I was speechless. I couldn’t think of anything else to say except, “Yes, sir. I won’t.”

The next thing I knew, I was promoted to Lieutenant Junior Grade. At first I couldn’t believe it but when the Captain attached the second pin on my uniform collar, I was tempted to pinch myself. It really felt like a dream of some sort. A very wonderful dream so to speak…

“Very well, I put my trust on your capabilities as Assistant Chief Security Officer… You are dismissed…”

As I exited the Captain’s Ready room, I heard my comm. badge chirp. “Romanov to Jarvis, please see me in my office.”

“On my way, Commander. Jarvis out.”

***

Lieutenant Junior Grade Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log continued

Surprisingly the events of this day definitely caught me off guard…

***

When I entered the Commander’s office, I found her facing the viewport.

“Commander?”

“I hear you got promoted…?”

“Yes, Ma’am. To Lieutenant Junior Grade.”

This time she turned around and faced me. Her face was expressionless, but her eyes told volumes.

“Congratulations to you Lieutenant. I’m sure you’ll do well.” Her face softened as her lips spread into a smile. “From now on, as my assistant, you will be handling personnel problems and other things in this department. I hope to see you do well…”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

Suddenly my comm. badge chirped. “Bridge to Lieutenant Jarvis…”

I looked at the Commander who gestured to go on with the conversation. “Jarvis here. What is it?”

“You have an urgent transmission from Earth sir.”

“This is Commander Romanov, just patch it through my office console.”

“Yes Ma’am. Bridge out.”

I looked the Commander. “Thank you, Commander.”

“No worries, now take that call…” She winked as she rotated the screen of her office console to face him. “I’m going to get myself something to drink… You want something?”

“No thanks…”

“Very well.”

When she moved away from her seat, I tapped a command to accept the transmission. The moment I did. I found myself staring into the eyes of my mother.

“Mother! What a surprise… What can I do for you?”

“Carl, I know you’re on your way to a deep space mission but I had to tell you anyway…”

It was only then that I noticed my mother’s swollen eyes. “Mom, what’s wrong?”

“Carl, your… Your… Your Papa’s gone…” My mother began sobbing.

The announcement caught me off guard that I didn’t know what to say or do. However, my mother continued on.

“I know that this comes as a shock to you, son, but he died while he was working in the field… He had been very happy that you were accepted in the Sentry for an assignment. Although he would’ve wanted to see you for even a day or so before your departure, but he decided to not delay you on your first assignment…”

“Dad…” I felt as though my blood had left my body. For a moment there, I felt as though my heart stopped. And I think it did for the next thing I knew everything was turning dark and blurry as the voice as she talked to me was garbled and hushed…

+-+-+-+

Geen opmerkingen: