zaterdag 14 april 2007

Day 10 (Stardate 52065.9)

Disclaimer: Paramount owns everything Trek. I’m just using some of their
stuff for the satisfaction of my overactive imagination. No infringement
intended… However, the characters in this story are mine…
Commander Tatyana Romanov Log Stardate 52065.9

It has been three days and my assistant, the newly promoted, Lieutenant Junior Grade Carl Jarvis is still unconscious. I am deeply concerned at what has happened to my assistant lately and I am uncertain on how this will affect his attitude towards others as well as towards his work.

As what Dr. Adams said, he had suffered extreme emotional stress at hearing the news of his father’s demise. It was clear that he was very much emotionally attached to his father. However, that is besides the point. Dr. Adams also found out something that greatly concerned me…

***

Three days ago…

Commander Tatyana Romanov paced back and forth in Doctor Adams’ office as she awaited the results of the preliminary tests taken after the collapse.

The Doctor entered her office and made her way behind her desk. She sat there and took a deep breath before speaking any further.

“Doctor, what’s your prognosis?”

“Well, Mr. Jarvis just suffered a slightly strong case of emotional trauma. According to his records, he seems to have quite an attachment to his parents, especially his father. Apart from that he’ll be fine…”

“That’s good to hear. When can he return to his duties?”

“Tomorrow. I’ll keep him here for the next couple of hours for observation…”

Romanov smiled in relief. “Thank you Doctor. I’ll see your patient first thing tomorrow morning. In the meantime, I’ll go and inform the Captain.”

Adams nodded. “Go ahead. I’ll keep you updated in his condition.”

***

Two days ago…

Commander Romanov entered Sickbay with full hopes that Mr. Jarvis had recovered. Although she knew that the emotional suffering would take time to heal, she was relieved to think that her assistant wasn’t permanently physically impaired by the collapse.

“Doctor Adams?”

“Commander! I was just about to wake our patient up. Come…”

Romanov approached the biobed where Jarvis lay. She looked at his face and found faint traces of pain on it. “Thank you Doctor. Please proceed.”

Dr. Adams took a hypospray from the medical tray beside her and pressed it on Jarvis’s neck. The two waited for Jarvis to open his eyes but he continued on his catatonic state.

“Doctor?”

“That’s odd. He should awake by now.” Dr. Adams said as she looked at the medical monitor beside the biobed. “His readings are normal and asleep. I’ll administer another dose.”

Commander Romanov nodded.

Doctor Adams pressed the hypospray once again on her patient’s neck. A few moments have passed and still, Jarvis would awaken.

“Doctor, I don’t understand. What’s going on?”

“I… I don’t know. Give me a couple of hours more, and I’ll find out what’s wrong with him…”

“Very well, Doctor. Let me know when you know what’s going on with him…”

The Doctor nodded.

***

Present time…

Romanov was in her office reading the latest Security report when her comm. badge chirped.

“Dr. Adams to Commander Romanov. Please report to Sickbay. I think I have the answer.”

“Romanov here. On my way.”

***

Still in the present time…

Commander Romanov entered Sickbay and still found Jarvis catatonic on his biobed. He looked the same way as he did when she left him in Sickbay days ago. She looked away and felt dread creep up to her as she proceeded to the Doctor’s office.

“Doctor?”

The Doctor was reading information on the console in front of her. She looked up and gave her a weak smile. Romanov looked closely at the woman. Dr. Adams ran Sickbay day in and day out. It surprised her to see the older woman less tired than she was. However, today, seemed to be not one of the good doctor’s better days…

“Commander, I’m afraid your assistant’s condition is much more serious than we thought…”

“But I don’t understand. I thought you said that he was just sleeping?”

“That’s what I first thought however, I don’t know when he’ll awaken or in what state of health he will awaken into or he might not awaken at all…”

“What?” Commander Romanov’s eyes widened at what the Doctor said. “What do you mean?”

“He’s got KWS or Kusanagi Withdrawal Syndrome… It’s a rare disease that was discovered in the late 21st century. And because of its rarity, Doctors have found that there is no cure for such a disease…”

“KWS? What triggers this disease?”

“There are no triggers for this disease… It’s genetic and hereditary. However, for families with this disease, it may lie dormant for several generations, then appear in someone in a family. This usually occurs when someone who has it is exposed to extreme emotions like anger, fear, sadness, and all the other negative emotions you can think of. The problem with this disease is that it is often mistaken as a simple fainting spell. However, it can be differentiated from the latter when the person cannot be roused from unconsciousness by medicine or by force…”

Romanov met the Doctor’s eyes. “You mean? That’s what happened three days ago?”

Adams nodded. “At first I thought that his body wasn’t quick to respond to medicine, however, when I administered the second dose, that’s when I started to suspect. Also, his REM patterns are the same… It doesn’t seem to change, not one bit.”

“So what do we do about this?”

“We’ll have to wait until he rouses from it on his own….”

“But you said you don’t know when or he might not wake up…”

“That’s right. We’ll just have to wait and hope that he decides to wake up soon, or else you’ll have to find another assistant Chief Security Officer to replace him for the time being or permanently…”

+-+-+-+

Geen opmerkingen: