zaterdag 14 april 2007

Day 1 (Stardate 52047.7)

Disclaimer: Paramount owns everything Trek. I’m just using some of their
stuff for the satisfaction of my overactive imagination. No infringement
intended… However, the characters in this story are mine…

I took a deep breath and rested my head back on the lift, and closed my eyes. The Sentry was still docked in Utopia Planitia, as she was still undergoing final testing and diagnostics and crew rotation.

The lift hummed as it rose up the complex. I was going to be beaming over to the Sentry in a couple of minutes. The end of the monotonous hum roused me from my reverie as I marched into the nearest transporter room.

“Good day, sir. Ensign Carl Jarvis ready to beam aboard the Sentry.” Handing a PADD to the pudgy Japanese Transporter Technician.

“Ensign Jarvis, you’re just on time…” the Transporter technician said as he smiled, returning the PADD to me. “I was just about to beam this batch up… Step up on the Transporter pad and you’ll be in the Sentry in no time…”

I smiled back, stepping up on the pad.

“HQ Transporter Room Seven Chief Matsumoto ready for transport.”

“Copy that Chief Matsumoto. Energize…”

In a blink of an eye, I felt a tingling sensation of dematerializing on Starfleet Headquarter’s Transporter pad…

***

“Ensign, are you alright?”

“Huh?”

I found himself eye to eye with a higher ranking Goldshirt.

“Ummm… Yes sir.”

“Good, for a moment there I thought you were having a case of mild transporter psychosis…” the slightly elderly man smiled. “The name is Lieutenant Lennard Johnstone…”

“Ensign Carl Jarvis… Nice to meet you sir…”

“Nah! The pleasure is all mine… I’m always glad to see new faces here in the ship… This is the second time her crew’s been rotated. And this year, we have a lot of you tadpoles swimming along with us…”

“Tadpoles, sir?”

“Just an expression kid…” he gave him a big toothy grin. “Now, you go on now. The Doctor will be wanting to see ya…”

“Yes sir…” I smiled as I marched off towards sickbay.

***

“Ensign Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log Stardate 52047.7

My first day isn’t that bad as I thought. I’ve met really interesting people. For one, the transporter chief, Lt. Johnstone is a very nice guy. He’s quite friendly off-duty, I don’t know otherwise, but he seems to be a very nice man. He reminds me of Grandpa a bit.

I’ve had my physical today and I found the Doctor to be quite good. I really think that she was a Betazoid. She seemed to know how to go around even her most uncooperative patients…”

*I laugh*

***

“Doc, I think I broke me neck!!! Oh Lord, I’m goin’ to die aren’t I? Doc, you’ve got to do somethin’! I don’t want to die ye know!” An angry voice roared as Jarvis entered Sickbay.

Jarvis saw the Doctor taking a full body scan at the man lying down on the biobed. He was obviously in great amounts of pain, his face was red, but he was unable to move due to his injury.

“Calm down, Lieutenant. I’ll give you a painkiller for that, so that I can conclude my scans and give you my prognosis…”

“Please hurry Doctor, I can’t feel any part of my body…”

“Alright…” the doctor reassured, and turns to a nurse. “Give him 5 CCs of this painkiller and finish his scans… After which, forward it to my office…”

“Yes, Doctor.”

I seem to have caught the eye of the Doctor for she acknowledged my presence before gesturing me to follow her to a biobed.

“You are?”

“Ensign Jarvis Ma’am.”

“I’m Doctor Letecia Adams. Please have a seat…”

The Doctor was starting to do a medical scan on me when she asked, “Is this your new assignment Ensign?”

“Yes Ma’am.”

“I see. Your post?”

“Ship Security Ma’am.”

“I see.” She merely said and started reading the tricorder data. “Well, you’re in perfect health Ensign. But serving aboard this ship won’t be easy since our new mission will be on the Beta Quadrant…”

“Yes, I know that ma’am.”

Dr. Adams arched a curious brow. “You do? Well, in that case, do your best then…” she smiled and gave me a motherly tap on the shoulder.

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“You are free to go, Mr. Jarvis…”

“Thank you, Ma’am.”

“You’re welcome. Are you going to report to Commander Romanov right now?”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Can you please give this PADD to her please?”

I took the PADD. “No problem. I’ll give it to her right away.”

“Thank you.”

With that I left Sickbay.

***

“Ensign Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log continued

“The meeting with Commander Romanov was the most surprising…”

***

“Computer locate Commander Romanov…”

“Commander Romanov is in her office, Deck One Section Beta Three..”

And so with that I rode to the nearest turbolift and went to the Commander’s office. A few minutes later I was standing outside of it.

I pressed the door chime.

“Enter.” came the voice from the other side.

When I entered there was no one there. The chair behind the desk was empty. The desk, on the other hand, was full of a variety of components - from tricorder parts to a communicator taken apart..

“Commander?”

“I’m here. I’m just under the desk. The communicator’s tranceiver fell on the floor and I can’t seem to find it… You just stay where you are… Oh there it is!!! I found it…”

To my surprise the most beautiful woman, who seemed to be in her mide-twenties, greeted me. She was a foot or so shorter than me. Her dark brown hair was tied in what seemed to be a braid of some sort and was hanging at her back. She face was fair and her eyes were green. She was just beautiful.

“Ensign…?”

“Oh, sorry Ma’am. My name is Carl Alexander Jarvis… I’ve been assigned to Ship security Ma’am.”

“I see. Is this your first mission…?”

“Yes Ma’am and I will show no leniency in my work…”

“That’s good to hear. Well, it was nice to meet you Ensign. You were supposed to report to the Captain, unfortunately, he’s been called to Starfleet Command for additional orders. He’ll be back tomorrow…”

“Yes, Ma’am.”

“Ensign, you may relax a bit. This is not the Spanish Inquisition…”

“Thank you Ma’am.”

“Well, that would be all for now. However, I expect you to report here tomorrow morning at 0700 hours to know your duty assignment.”

“Yes Ma’am.”

She nodded. “Dismissed.”

***

“Ensign Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log continued

“It was only an hour ago after talking to Lt. Johnstone at dinner tonight that I realized that the Commander didn’t seem to be what she looked like…”

***

“May I join you?”

“Of course, have a seat!” Johnstone said, gesturing me to sit on the seat across him. “So how was your day?”

“It was great…”

“But?”

“I had this most curious experience. I met Commander Romanov, and man, I cannot believe that someone as young as twenty-five or twenty-six could easily get a rank that high!”

“Twenty-five eh?” Johnstone had an amused look on his face.

“Yes, twenty-five!”

“Boy, you must have your eyes checked. The Commander is already thirty-one years old, give or take a couple of months!”

“What?!?”

“Aye! She is. I don’t know how she does it, but I do envy her…”

***

“Ensign Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log continued

“Lt. Johnstone and I talked about her all night. And he even commented that I might have developed a huge crush on her. I had to laugh. She was beautiful but she was also way out of my league… Besides I’ve only met her for one day… I’ve got several years more ahead of me… “

*I let out a sigh.*

“I’m pretty sure that this assignment will prove to be more interesting than I ever hoped for… End log.”

***

Geen opmerkingen: