Disclaimer: Paramount owns everything Trek. I’m just using some of their
stuff for the satisfaction of my overactive imagination. No infringement
intended… However, the characters in this story are mine…
Ensign Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log Stardate 52049.7
Damn, it was too late when I realized last night that I had completely forgotten to give Commander Romanov the PADD that Doctor Adams wanted me to give her. The Doctor called late last night but I think it was already too late for me to give it to her. So I decided to go to her office earlier than she expected.
And to my surprise, she was there… Earlier than what I was expecting…
***
“Ensign, you’re early…” Commander Romanov said as she stopped right in front of me.
I didn’t know anything else to say so I decided to just give her the PADD. “Umm… I forgot to give you this yesterday Ma’am… I apologize if I have impeded any of your work because of my forgetfulness…”
The Commander chuckled. “That’s alright, Jarvis. This PADD merely contains the information of all the crew who have been assigned to the Sentry and have already been checked out… Although, I would have wanted to have this yesterday…”
I hung my head. I felt my embarrassment rise up to my neck and inside my head.
“Hey look, don’t worry about it okay? The Captain doesn’t arrive till tomorrow. I still have plenty of time to work on my crew report. Besides, I’ve already have my draft for the Security department’s duty roster. I only need to finish the drafts for the rest of the crew’s duty roster.
I look up to her, meeting her gaze. She was smiling warmly at me. She was very forgiving… And with that, I think I owe her one…
“Now come on. I want to talk to you about your duty assignment…”
***
Ensign Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log continued
The Commander assigned me the position of Assistant Chief Security Officer since her second-in-command is extended on his last posting. Nonetheless, I was honored to take his place.
She also assigned me on the Beta shift. Not so early and not so late. I really like the schedule of the shift a lot.
Anyway, the meeting continued on and on for the entire morning half of the day. More and more junior officers were there so she decided to move the meeting in the Briefing room. Afterwhich, she decided to give us a lunch recess.
***
As I saw the last of the junior Security Officers file out of the Briefing room for lunch, I cast a glance at the Commander as I rose from my own chair. She was still sitting there, engrossed at reading the same PADD I saw on her desk yesterday at her office when I first met her. I think it contained specifications for the tricorder-commbadge thingamajig she was trying to create. And she didn’t look like she knew that it was already lunch time.
“Commander?”
She didn’t seem to hear me.
I cleared my throat and raised my voice a bit louder this time. “Commander?”
She still didn’t hear me. She was really INTO what she was reading, her brows furrowed in deep thought.
I was amused by her dedication to what she was reading. She was indeed a very remarkable woman. I decided to exit the Briefing room quietly.
***
Ensign Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log continued
Lunch was quiet. There was no one there whom I could talk to. Lt. Johnstone, I mean, Lennard wasn’t there… so I decided to eat alone.
While I had my lunch, I decided to replicate the Commander a couple of sandwiches and a can of 21st-century canned orange juice. I hope she eats it though. I’ve been wondering a lot how come she was a bit too skinny for a Starfleet officer. Maybe its her workaholicism. I don’t know…
Anyway, as soon as I was done with my lunch, I immediately proceeded to the Briefing Room for the continuation of ‘my’ orientation.
***
“Computer, deck one, Briefing room.”
The lift hummed, leaned my head back and closed my eyes. I felt a sense of familiarity with it. I was no one but a lowly son of a farmer back in Earth. Then I went into the Academy. And it was one of those sounds that I felt “soothing” when I was homesick for our little farm on a small hill in the south of the Cebu province.
My mother was a native of Cebu. My father was Canadian. I couldn’t help but feel homesick every now and then. He was a good man but he wanted me to be more of a farmer than someone who served in Starfleet. Despite all that, he knew that I wouldn’t be happy as a farmer, so he decided to let me go.
“Excuse me?”
The voice caught me by surprise. I looked down and saw a petite Science or Medical Ensign with drowning black eyes.
“Umm.. Sorry. Have I offended you?”
She shook her head. “No but you’re voice was quite loud in my head, and so are your feelings. They made me want to long for my own family as well…”
I stared at her and noticed that her eyes were so black. I had to guess that she was Betazoid.
“How did you know?”
“I have gifts… Courtesy of my lineage…”
“I see. Then I don’t think I can hide anything else from you then…” I smiled.
She smiled back and nodded. “Yes. It would be a futile attempt…”
“Well then. I should introduce myself then… My name is Ensign Carl Jarvis. Security.”
“Davon Luron. Ensign. Ship Nurse.”
“Nice to meet you…”
“Same goes here.”
As the lift stopped. “Well, I think I’ll have to go now. This is my stop.” She smiled again as she exited the lift. “See you around…”
***
Ensign Carl Alexander Jarvis Personal Log continued
I arrived in the Briefing room and saw the Commander with the same pose as I had left her. She seemed to have stayed like that for almost half an hour… What was she working on anyway?
Anyway, I decided to disturb her now and gave her the food that I had given her…
***
“You needn’t give me this Jarvis. I wasn’t hungry… Well I was but I had more pressing matters to attend to…”
“But I insist. You must eat, Ma’am. Results of skipping a meal, when compounded, will eventually turn out bad… And I don’t want that to happen to my senior officer now, do I?”
She smiled and accepted the food. She put down the PADD and started eating.
“So shall we continue with your briefing now?”
“Eat first, Commander. From where I come from, it is rude to discuss business during a meal…”
She smiled again and eventually laughed.
“Very well, if you insist…”
+-+-+-+
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten